I want to say a HUGE and deeply personal "Thank You" to my friends, family, and thousands of fellow Pearl Jam fans who have supported this website, and recently my initiatives to help spread awareness, acceptance, and understanding of Autism.
When my son, Mack, was diagnosed last November it was a big wake up call for me and forced me to learn a great deal about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) very quickly. What I learned is that today, 1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls are diagnosed with ASD in the United States. That means there are a lot families out there just like mine who are struggling to understand what this means and how it will affect their childs life. Many of those families do not have access to some of the blessings I've had including family, friends, finances, and access to specialized education and therapies.
Five Horizons is my effort to help change the world just a little bit for the better. Will you join me?
Our first fundraiser will be held as a pre-party before the Pearl Jam concert at Wrigley Field on July 19, 2013. More details to follow.
|Meet Mack: My Inspiration, My Son|
The Five Horizons Foundation was created with three goals in mind:
- Raise funds for established charities that meet our strict criteria.
- Target specific projects that benefit children with Autism and their families.
- Raise awareness of worthwhile causes through social media.
1. Fast, Courteous responses
- We won't let your enthusiasm stall while waiting on us. 90% of inquiries are responded to within 4 hours, 100% within 24 hours.
2. Think Global, Act Local
- Five Horizons focuses strictly on local organizations performing services for their communities. These organizations are thoroughly vetted to ensure that every dollar donated is used wisely with a minimum amount going to organizational expenses. However, we also believe in the power of social media! We've had donations and assistance from generous people all over the world.
3. Be Transparent
- Our goal is to provide donors with the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your generosity will not be squandered. We have the purest of intentions and seek out others who share that value. Our financials and projects are 100% transparent so you can see how your donations are spent.
4. All In!
- It's an attitude. Nothing will be done half way. We're looking for the do-gooders of the world and want to enable them to do what comes naturally. Five Horizons provides no compensation for Officers, leaders, or volunteers. We have no physical offices and strive to reduce overhead expenses to zero.
5. Have Fun!
- You're doing a good thing, you should feel good about it. No ulterior motives allowed.